“DISSONANCE” is the theme of the first Soirée of Series 3. February 18, 2017.
Following the 2016 Presidential election, many of us have felt angry, hurt, betrayed, disconnected, and depressed. Historically, the greatest art movements have come during times of confusion and conflict.
Take what you are feeling and put those feelings into art. MAKE ART!
Dissonance has several meanings related to conflict or incongruity:
- Consonance and dissonance in music are properties of an interval or chord (the quality of a discord)
- Cognitive dissonance is a state of mental conflict
- Dissonance in poetry is the deliberate avoidance of assonance, i.e. patterns of repeated vowel sounds. Dissonance in poetry is similar to cacophony and the opposite of euphony.
- Cultural dissonance is an uncomfortable sense experienced by people in the midst of change in their cultural environment.
- Cognitive dissonance is the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes, especially as relating to behavioral decisions and attitude change.
Notice the similarity of the discomfort you are feeling after the election with the development of dissonant music.
Dissonance in Classical Music